Monday, October 24, 2011

DIY Cosplay Costumes for a Halloween Party Introduction

Halloween is just around the corner, and you know what that means! Halloween Costume Parties!

Though it is quite easy to rent and buy (though I would suggest the former since it's more earth-friendly), there's nothing like making your own costume. More often than not, it costs less, plus you get that extra satisfaction when you win best costume! Besides, who wants to see someone else in the party dressed the same way as you are?

Though this entry won't contain step-by step instructions on how you can make cosplay costumes (that would be on another entry), it would give you ideas on the materials and tools that you'll need.

Currently, I'm making an armor set (plate, arm guards, leg vambraces, shoulder guards). I'll be using that costume for an All Saints Day Cosplay. I'll go as Joan of Arc. I'll post the how to as soon as I finish it.

I'm also planning to make knife that goes on top of my head to give an illusion that my head was butchered.

So what are the basic materials that you'll need?
  • Lots of paper. Strips or pulp for making paper mache
  • Lots and lots of glue
  • Cardboard to make your costume a little strong
  • Plastic PET bottles
  • Old clothes or cloths
  • Paint
  • Varnish (if using poster paint or to make it water proof)
  • Water
  • Masking or paper tape (paper tape is sturdier and sticks better)

And let's not forget the basic tools:
  • A pair Scissors
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Measuring tape
  • Paintbrush
  • A helping hand (to speed things up and to make some tasks easier)
  • Stapler
  • Puncher
  • Glue gun


There are some basic steps that you'll do everytime you'll be making a costume
  1. Draft how the final costume will look like
  2. Measure the body part where the costume will go. It's always good to have at least 2-inches allowance so you can move and air can flow. Write down the measurements
  3. Make paper strips or paper pulp for paper mache (strips is probably the best option)

Watch out  for my costume how tos this week . I'll post them as soon as I finish so you can start making your own too.

No comments:

Post a Comment