Wednesday, March 21, 2012

How to: Homemade Pore Strips [Failed Attempt]

 Sorry it's a bit late. Didn't have the time to upload the photos yesterday...

I saw this tutorial on Petite Elefant about how to make your own pore strips! After I read it, I really wanted to go the supermarket and buy the ingredients. It's cheap-o! Majorly cheap, with just 2 ingredients!

I forgot to go by the store to buy gulaman so I asked SDEHBF to buy a pack for me. We had milk at home so I knew I was all set. So I tried to make it, but, yeah, I failed! BUMMER! SDEHBF hinted that gulaman is different from gelatin. DARN IT! The reason why I failed is probably because I used gulaman when the recipe specifically indicated GELATIN. Goodness! I didn't know that those 2 things were different. I always thought that gulaman was the local name of gelatin. Boo me, right? There I was, thinking that maybe it's the temperature here in the Philippines' that's the culprit, or maybe because I used cold milk! Sheesh! (Though these may still be major contributors)

So this morning, as soon as I got my hands on a computer with an Internet connection, I searched for the difference between gulaman and gelatin, and guess what, they ARE different! It turns out, gulaman is the vegan version of gelatin (a.k.a agar agar). Gulaman is made out of seaweeds and gelatin is made out of animal bones. Hmmm...

From my research I also found out that I need boiling water to dissolve gulaman, but only warm water to dissolve gelatin. gelatin sets when cold while gulaman sets in room temp. Double hmmm...

So here's what I decided to do. I'd buy a gelatin and attempt to make the pore strip, then find a way to make it work with gulaman or agar agar. Seems that people on the Internet just say that it MIGHT work with agar agar but I found no one who actually tried it.

While attempting to make this, SDEHBF helped me out. He was curious on how it would turn out (but wouldn't let me out any on his face). I didn't get the consistency mentioned in the article, but I put it on my face anyway. Waited almost an hour and it still wasn't dry, so I just washed it off.

So here's what I did/ what happened to me last night

Tools:
  • 1 tablespoon measuring spoon

Ingredients:
  • Milk Magic Fresh Milk

Steps:

1. Measure 1 Tablespoon of gulaman (original recipe calls for gelatin) powder. Put it in the bowl.

  • Measure 1Tb agar agar or gulaman

2. Measure 1 1/3 Tablespoon of milk (mine was cold, probably not a good idea) Add to the bowl with gulaman powder

>
  • Measure 1 1/3 tablespoon of milk

3. Mix throughly (Should be chunky immediately, but mine was runny)

  • Mix

4. Add 1/3 Tablespoon more of gulaman powder (because it was runny, so I thought I need more gulaman)


5. Mix thoroughly (Still runny)


6. Heat the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds, then stir. (still runny so I popped it in the microwave for 5 more seconds)

  • Heat and mix

7. I realized that heat makes the mixture runnier, so I took out a chunk of ice and placed the bowl on top of the ice, then mixed until I got tired of it

  • cool down mixture
  • use ice to thicken

8. Applied the mixture on my face

  • without mask
  • slather on face

The sad part here is that it's almost an hour and the mask haven't hardened yet. It was already late so I didn't have the time to wait for it to dry. I didn't want to sleep with it on cause I don't want to attract insects while I'm sleeping. I'll try this again once I have the the time to do it, and extra money to buy gelatin (yeah, I'm THAT broke) Try it out for yourself and find out how it is done, and if it really works (I have no doubt that it would).

No comments:

Post a Comment