Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Calling - A Greener Earth

Small Things, BIG IMPACT
I've been trying to live "green" for the past years. I believe that even small efforts will someday amount to a BIG impact. It's like the concept of Pondo ng Pinoy (Fund of the Filipinos): Kahit maliit, basta't malimit ay patungong langit (Small things, when given constantly, is towards Heaven). Pondo ng Pinoy is a fundraiser project of the Catholic Church. It aims to gather funds from 25 centavo coins.

Like the Pondo ng Pinoy Project, I plan to do my part to help the earth be more sustainable. I may be just one person, doing simple things like not using straws and using the stairs instead of the elevators, but I know that these small efforts, when done frequently, will greatly help the Earth.

My Calling
While I was praying this morning, I can't help but feel thankful for the wonderful weather (I know there's a typhoon, but I just love waking up to the smell of rain, like the earth's been washed). So there I was in the dining room, with food piled in my plate and praying, thanking God for all the blessings I could think of. While thanking Him for the rain, it hit me, this is my calling. This is what God wants me to do. God wants me to protect the earth. To help in sustainable development. To protect what he created. After all, when God gave man dominion over his creation, it really meant that while we can enjoy it, we must also protect it.

I was so pleased with what God told me to do. For how long have I been so environment friendly? For how long have I been trying to make things out of recycled materials? For how long have I been convincing people close to me to avoid extra consumption of plastic? It took me years to figure out that this is my calling. I'm glad that I finally figured it out.

That's why
I was asking myself for months now, why I'm not that committed to my church work anymore. I used to be so active and so energetic when it comes to my ministry, but now, it's tiring for me, and now I know the answer. Though I am a church worker, most of my work would be outside the church. Praising and glorifying him through a different way - by protecting his creation.

Tough Challenge
I know that I have a long way to go before I can say that I have done something big for the earth. There are a lot of green living big-shot advocates now and I hope to be one of them someday.

I don't have a blog that a lot of people follow. I don't have a website that has millions of readers and members. I don't know people in the gov't and other organizations that can help me plan and execute big earth-friendly projects; but I know I'll get there someday. I just have to work hard and keep my goal in mind.

God already gave me the instruments that I need to be able to carry out this mission. I just need to hone the skills and have a will of steel.

I can do this. We can all do this

This is for a greener earth

No comments:

Post a Comment